Which Color Contact Lens Is Right for Me?
Individuals who want to enhance or change their eye color may benefit from color contact lenses. At Gordon Wong Eye Designs & Optometry in La Jolla, CA, we offer prescription and non-prescription color contact lenses. If you have questions about color contact lenses, this overview should help.
What Are Colored Contact Lenses?
Colored contact lenses look and feel like prescription contact lenses. The lenses are designed to change the color of the iris, the ring around the pupil that determines our natural eye color. The center of the lens is left clear so the lens does not interfere with natural vision.
Color contacts are either prescription or non-prescription (plano). Prescription colored contact lenses can correct myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism. Plano lenses are worn for purely cosmetic reasons.
Colored lenses are typically more expensive than traditional, non-colored lenses.
When choosing color contacts, you will have three options.
- Visibility tint: Individuals who are prone to losing their contacts or who have trouble placing their contacts on their eye may benefit from this option. These lenses have a subtle tint that can be seen when the lens is held. Because the tint is faint, it does not alter your natural eye color.
- Enhanced tint: These lenses enhance the natural color of your eyes. This cosmetic option may be ideal for individuals who have light-colored eyes that could benefit from being more vibrant.
- Opaque tint: These lenses offer the most dramatic change and can completely alter the wearer’s eye color. Individuals who have very dark eyes can benefit from lightening the tint of their iris using these lenses. Costume lenses also fall under this category. For parties or an event, you give yourself a cat, alien, or whited-out eyes, for example.
Tips for Choosing the Right Colored Lenses
Choosing the right color for your eyes is a personal decision. You may wish to consider factors, such as hair color and skin tone, though. Our doctors in La Jolla recommend that you consider these tips.
- For light eyes: Look for a color that adds definition to the edges of your iris while enhancing your natural eye color.
- For something new and different: Start with colors that compliment, such as replacing blue with green or gray.
- For individuals with dark eyes: Opaque tints are your best bet here. Again, try to match your natural color while lightening it up. Dark brown eyes may match well with honey brown colored lenses, for example.
- For dark-skinned individuals: Contrast can be aesthetically appealing if done well. Vibrant blue, green, or violet lenses can add a welcome “pop” to your facial features if you have dark skin tones.
Finally, individuals with warm skin tones (yellow to gold) or blonde hair may want to consider brown, green, hazel, or green lenses while individuals with cooler skin tones or black hair may benefit from blue or violet eye tints.
Remember to clean and care for your color contact lenses just as you would with traditional lenses.
Contact Us Today
Colored contact lenses can offer fun cosmetic enhancements. If you have questions, our staff are glad to advise you on which lenses will work best for you. To schedule your first appointment with us, contact us online or call us in La Jolla at (858) 454-4699.